Monday, March 21, 2011

Notre Dame football: Kelly and Floyd reflect on player's arrest, future

Notre Dame Football player Michael Floyd was arrested early Sunday morning by Notre Dame Police as he was driving at the intersection of Holy Cross Drive and Notre Dame Avenue in South Bend. 
Following three failed attempts at a field sobriety test, the 6’ 3” Senior agreed to a breathalyzer, registering .19, more than double the legal .08 limit in Indiana.
Booked into the South Bend County Jail, the wide receiver faces charges of operating while intoxicated, a minimum Class A misdemeanor. 
Floyd, 21, was arrested 13 months ago in Minneapolis, his hometown, for underage drinking.
The initial report on the South Bend Tribune stated these facts, while an update Monday night included comments from both Floyd and second year Notre Dame Head Coach, Brian Kelly.
Kelly’s comments focused mostly on his concern for Floyd’s immaturity and hopes that he will learn from his mistakes. While the decision about Floyd’s future at Notre Dame is ultimately up to the Office of Residence Life, Kelly announced today that Floyd is suspended from team activities indefinitely.
Floyd’s comments, released through the university, included an apology to his teammates, family members, and the community.  An expression of remorse for his actions, Floyd said, "I’ve talked to coach Kelly and I accept the decision he made. I absolutely recognize that I have many things to work on to become a better person and will need to regain the trust of all whom I have hurt within my immediate family and the Notre Dame family. I fully intend to spend the immediate future improving myself to become a better member of our community."

I don’t doubt that Michael Floyd is sorry for his actions, after all, he is human and we all make mistakes.  In fact, I am sure many of us can count a time or two when we have driven when we shouldn’t have. 

As an MVP, star player for the University of Notre Dame, Michael Floyd is a role model to numerous children with dreams of playing college football. Each home game, over 80,000 football fans fill the stadium as the notorious Touchdown Jesus overlooks the field.  The number of fans in the stadium doesn’t even compare to the number watching the Saturday match-ups on television.

I’m sure Michael didn’t intentionally bring his senior year of eligibility to a halt Sunday morning. I’m sure as he was turning into campus, he was enjoying his last few days of spring break and never dreamed that he would be arrested for drinking and driving. I’m sure he never considered the disappointment of the impressionable youth who watched him score 12 touchdowns last year. 

But as the great head coach Lou Holtz has said, “Life is a matter of choices.”  Had Michael learned from his previous incident with the police, he would not be in the position he is currently. 

Unfortunately, he isn’t the only college athlete to make poor decisions.

English Professor Jeff Benedict, Southern Virginia University, has written four books and examined over 1,000 incidents involving the arrests of college and professional athletes. 

Between January 1 and August 31 of 2010, there were 85 publicly reported arrests of college football and basketball players.  It’s a number which more than doubled the number of arrests for professional basketball and football players.

Actions have consequences.  Perhaps Michael Floyd’s poor choices will influence the choices of others around him.  Perhaps his teammates and those who heard about his arrest will realize how a split second decision has consequences that could dictate choices effecting a lifetime.

There are times when I feel like I’m invinsible and I know that throughout my 33 years, I have made poor choices. I also know that every day I learn from the mistakes I’ve made and the mistakes of those around me.

The person I was at the age of 21 is a different person from who I am now. With age comes maturity! While Floyd didn’t realize he had played his last game dressed in the well-respected blue and gold uniform, he more than likely has.  And while I am grateful for his reminder that actions have consequences, I wish him the best. 

I hope that his recent brush with the Notre Dame Police department is his last and that he will recover and have a successful career in the NFL. In the words of Lou Holtz in his book, “Wins, Losses and Lessons, it says, “Hard times will come.  They always do.  But when it happens, remember that deep faith, hard work, and an unwavering commitment to your goals will turn today’s tragedy into tomorrow’s triumphs.”


No comments:

Post a Comment