Sunday, March 27, 2011

A lesson in "giving back"

I was reminded today of a lesson I learned when I was about 14-years-old. I learned then, the importance of giving back to the community, but it is a lesson I have put on the back burner for the past few years. 
I’d like to extend kudos to Jeannie’s Tavern for hosting a fundraiser today benefitting Hospice of St. Joseph County. Not only did they arrange a fun afternoon at Bowler’s Country Club with about 50 people bowling, but sales from tip boards and 50/50 drawings raised a lot of money for the not-for-profit charity.
Danny and Gary, hosts of the event, have been planning this annual fundraiser for the last 25 years. They don’t do it in hopes that they will be acknowledged by local media or for praise from others, but rather to give back to Hospice for the care they have shown friends and family members throughout the years.
A selfless act that is both impressive and inspiring. I’m inspired because I know that I don’t “give back” to the community as much as I should.
I’ve noticed that throughout the years, I have become more apt to donate money and participate in smokers and fundraisers than donating my time.  I’m not sure there is a right or wrong for charitable giving, I guess both time and money are needed, but for some reason I feel a little guilty for not giving of my time.
I took a walk after the fundraiser today and reflected a little on my past experiences raising money and awareness for various charitable organizations. At the age of 14, my church youth group encouraged us to do some type of community service.  I signed up at LaPorte Hospital and helped the nurses by refilling ice waters and calling bingo numbers during the evening activity hour.  I can’t remember how long I was a volunteer, maybe a year or so.
My junior and senior year of high school the National Honors Society required a certain number of service hours and I completed those by serving as a Big Sister for the Boys and Girls Club, among other things.
Through college I managed to spend a few hours here and there raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Arranging the yearly “Light the Night” walk and raising several thousand dollars for Team in Training were experiences which have impacted me to this day.
Unfortunately, I haven’t made volunteering a priority in the past few years.  On my walk, I was thinking about how I need to make the commitment to do some volunteer work in the community. 
I have a friend who visits a couple of people at an area nursing home and another friend who works with disabled children by helping them ride horses as a therapeutic exercise. But neither of these things really appeals to me.  So I continued to think about the talents and interests I have and where I might be able to make a difference.
I got home, went online and found a local website called, “Make a Difference Michiana.” It lists all the various ways someone can volunteer or donate money to many different local charities.
This week, I’m going to commit to finding a way to helping others by making a difference in Michiana.
Thanks Jeannie’s for reminding me that giving back to the community, whether it is by arranging a fundraiser or volunteering time, needs to be a priority.  Not only did you raise funds needed for Hospice of St. Joseph County to help others, but you touched the lives of at least 50 people who attended the event today.
Kudos and thanks for making a difference in Michiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment