Wednesday, February 16, 2011

From Journalism student to blogger

I was ten years old and in fourth grade at Central Elementary in Portage, Indiana when a guest speaker came to visit my class. She was a reporter for the new newspaper in town and she was there to give my class a glimpse into her career.
I was fascinated.  From that day forward, I was committed to being a Journalist.
In high school, I chose classes such as Journalism, English, Yearbook and Newspaper, which would support my life’s ambition.  After graduation, I worked at the LaPorte Herald Argus, trying to bolster my resume with work experience which I would soon supplement with a good education from Indiana University.
“Present the facts, do not include personal accounts of situations and by all means, don’t be bias when writing an article,” was engrained into my brain from virtually every professor I had.
For several years, I was a freelance writer for the South Bend Tribune and a few magazines and other newspapers. I always reported the facts and let my readers draw their own conclusions as to whether or not they felt a defender was guilty or who was responsible for an accident I was writing about.
Now, as I am months away from my receiving my Master’s Degree in Liberal Studies, I have been met with the challenge of becoming a public intellectual. I have decided that one way I can meet this challenge is to take what I know from background in Journalism and blog about articles that appear in the South Bend Tribune.
I want to bring a personal look into the impersonal world of Journalism by posting my own reflections to the articles which are presented to over 161,000 readers each day.

So here it is…. A bias look into the unbiased world of Journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment